Saturday, June 26, 2010

The request


"a big soft sweater to wear to brunch, please"
This was his (the loveliest of lovely husbands) request, made sometime in October (maybe earlier, but no witnesses were present). In fact, the mere projected making of this particular sweater was responsible for my accidentally revealing the super secret destination of our anniversary weekend getaway (which is perhaps why it took me so long to make the thing - deep down inside, I resented it) by mentioning a trip to Purl.
I don't think I actually cast on the first stitches until January (perhaps later, again, no witnesses) due to substantial difficulty in finding a satisfactory pattern. It was my first effort using double pointed needles and circular needles, and though the former are a little tricky at first, the latter provide a very practical alternative to "normal" needles. This is especially true if you are a travelling knitter because their size makes you less dependent on the TSA agent's "judgement" as to whether or not your knitting poses a security threat and they allow you to knit, even in a middle seat, without constantly poking your fellow passengers. Safe and considerate.
The finished garment was finally ready to serve its master in may, and he seems most satisfied with it. I must admit that I quite like it too, so much so in fact that I am making myself my own in a slightly smaller size. Judging from how long it took to finish the first one, my big soft sweater to wear to brunch might see the day for some Christmas leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment